Residents exhale as November marks official end of 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season, which brought us no major damage

Residents across the country are breathing a sigh of relief as Wednesday, November 30, marks the end of the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season, which meterologists say was “average.”

This season, which ran from June 1, saw the development of 14 named storms, eight of which became hurricanes.  Two developed into major hurricanes of which Fiona and Ian were the strongest.

Antigua and Barbuda received some showers and strong winds from Fiona, but no major damage or flooding.

In its June forecast, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicted a 65 percent chance of an above-normal season; a 25 percent chance of a near-normal season; and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season.

That prediction included 14 named storms, seven hurricanes and three major hurricanes.

Forecasters say the 2022 seasonal activity fell within the predicted ranges in both the pre-season outlook and updated outlook.

Eyes are now set on the 2023 Hurricane Season, which is just over six months away, and persons are already being urged to ensure their preparedness.