National cyclist Andre Simon succumbs to injuries sustained in traffic accident a year ago; MP Watts grieved at the news

After fighting for his life for more than a year, national cycling
champion Andre Simon has lost the battle, succumbing to the health
complications that plagued him after being the victim of a traffic
accident over a year ago. 

Reports say that Simon died in a United States hospital, where he
has been receiving treatment for quite some time.

Simon was knocked off his bicycle on the Sir George Walter Highway
on Mother’s Day last year, May 8, 2022, while he and fellow cyclists
were in training. Witnesses allege that he took the brunt of the
impact as a vehicle plowed into them – reportedly being slammed
not once, but twice.

After spending weeks in the Sir Lester Bird Medical Centre, where
the brain-injured athlete reportedly developed stage-three bed
sores during his treatment, Simon was airlifted to a facility in the
United States.

Although his family regularly updated well-wishers on his progress,
relatives also reported that Simon had developed other
complications in the United States that were preventing him from
having the surgery his condition required.

Many persons had joined Simon’s family in prayer vigils and
fundraising efforts; but some admitted that they had doubts about
his recovery, given the extent of his brain injuries.

Today, June 8, members of the cycling fraternity and members of the
public expressed shock at the unfortunate news. And St. George MP
Algernon Watts – a former cyclist, himself, and a club official – was
among them.

Watts tells REAL News that learning of Simon’s death “was a real gut
punch.” Describing the late rider as “a gem,” he notes that there was nothing
bad one could say about him. “He carried himself well. He
represented the sport well. He represented his friends and family
very well,” Watts says.

He adds that he cannot begin to imagine how Simon’s loved ones
and the cycling fraternity are feeling at this time. But Watts is
especially pained by the fact that he was among those who helped to
put Simon back on the riding circuit.

He says, too, that he will not resort to the platitude of saying Simon
“is in a better place.” However, he does acknowledge that the
deceased rider’s physical suffering is over.

Other residents tell REAL News they did not personally know
Simon; but they shed tears upon hearing of his death, given how the
entire Nation had been rooting for his recovery and how much effort
his family had put into getting him treated.

Three other cyclists were injured in the now-fatal accident;
however, they were treated and discharged from the hospital.
Meanwhile, the driver had been arrested and charged with
dangerous driving.  That charge is now expected to be upgraded to
causing death by dangerous driving.