Ottos teenager is second reported electrocution in less than a month; APUA confirms that metal gate at home was energized

It is believed that a live wire leaking electricity onto the ground might have caused the death of 13-year-old Jaiden Titus of Ottos, New Town.

Titus reportedly was electrocuted on Friday night, July 1, at his home.

Reports say the teenager’s mother, a nurse, arrived home just after 6 p.m. and saw the boy lying close to the concrete fence at the front of the property. She attempted to administer CPR and subsequently summoned the Emergency Medical Services (EMS). 

After the ambulance arrived on the scene, the Emergency Medical Technicians began to administer CPR and continued while on the way to the hospital.

On their arrival, the medical staff also continued with efforts to resuscitate Titus; however, a doctor reportedly pronounced him dead at 7:20 p.m.

A source says that an examination of the scene showed a conduit carrying a live wire that ran from an electricity pole on the eastern side of the house beneath the concrete fence.

It was believed that this wire might have caused the young teen’s death.

Meanwhile, the incident is under investigation by the Antigua Public Utilities Authority (APUA).

In a short media release, the utility company says its preliminary findings indicate that Titus came into contact with an energized metal gate, which resulted in him being electrocuted.

This is the second such fatality in less than a month’s time. On June 14, Judah Bowers was electrocuted in his backyard, reportedly while hanging out laundry.

It is said that the clothesline made contact with an energized electrical wire connected to a fence.

It was Bowers’ brother who found him on the ground, unresponsive, and telephoned 911.

He was transported to the Sir Lester Bird Medical Centre by the Emergency Medical Service and was later pronounced dead.

APUA conducted an investigation into that incident and determined that a faulty electrical installation at the adjoining property had caused the electrocution of the Greenbay resident.