Friday sentenced to 12 years for manslaughter in killing of his uncle; some residents say it is not enough

The 12-year prison sentence imposed on Kelly Friday, the man found guilty of
stabbing his uncle, Selwyn Mannix, to death, has disappointed some members
of the public.

Friday was sentenced by a High Court judge on Thursday, June 6, having been
found guilty of manslaughter by a jury in March.

The 29-year-old man had been charged with murder, but the jury returned a
guilty verdict on the lesser count, since they felt that provocation had been a
factor in the death.

Friday was represented by attorneys Wendel Alexander and Wayne Marsh,
who had put forward a case of self defence. Acting Director of Public
Prosecutions Shannon Jones-Gittens assisted Junior Counsel Pauli Williams in
prosecuting the case. 

Meanwhile, despite the circumstances, some residents believe that, based on
the number of times the victim was stabbed, Friday should have been
sentenced to a longer time behind bars.

Some suggest that 25 years would have been a more appropriate sentence for
the unlawful killing, since the number of stabs wounds Mannix received was
Friday was accused of stabbing Mannix about six times during an altercation
at the Point Fisheries Wharf on Saturday, September 11, 2022 at 5:15 p.m.
Allegedly, the altercation was over $50 that Friday owed his uncle, after
reportedly having taken some fish from Mannix’s boat.
His uncle allegedly made a request for the money – which Friday did not have
at the time, but promised to pay.

However, Mannix is alleged to have struck the younger man multiple
times with a wattle stick during the altercation. 
Reports say that Friday retaliated by pulling a knife, which he used to inflict
multiple stab wounds to Mannix’s upper body after his uncle fell. 
It is said that, although Friday had an opportunity to escape at this point, he
did not. Instead, he reportedly stabbed his uncle in the side, then turned him
over and stabbed him again in the abdominal area.
The 50-year-old Friars Hill Road man and his reported attacker were
transported to the Sir Lester Bird Medical Centre for treatment. However,
Mannix succumbed to his wounds and was pronounced dead at 5:42 p.m.

Friday was treated for injuries he sustained to his left leg and hand. Reports
are that he sustained three fractured fingers and had a swollen head.
He was 26 years old at the time he is alleged to have committed the offence.