Police move swiftly to investigate the murder of Syrian businessman, arresting six males on suspicion of murder

Following the broad daylight murder of a Syrian businessman on May 22, at least six persons were picked up by the Police on suspicion of murder.

The suspects reportedly are now in custody, assisting with investigations into the murder of 25-year-old Roudi Shmaly, late of Utopia Place, Sir George Walter Highway.

Shmaly was shot and killed during a robbery of the Pick N Mix Mart on DeSouza Road, at about 1:10 p.m. on Monday.

It is alleged that the deceased had been in the Chicken Hub restaurant, next door, when he heard a commotion and rushed into the Mart.  He was then shot by a gunman who, reportedly, had entered the business place and demanded money from the cashier.

The young businessman arrived at the hospital, unresponsive, with a gunshot wound to the right side of his upper back and a laceration to the back of the head.

He was pronounced dead at 1:35 p.m. 

After the incident, the Police commenced a full investigation, which led to a number of search warrants being executed at several residences.

Reports say that officers from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), Homicide and FIU went on duty in Fort Road, at about 7:36 p.m., and a search warrant was executed on the home of a father and son.

Further reports say that, during the operation, 14 cannabis plants were found and seized, along with two pairs of gloves and three articles of clothing.

The father reportedly was arrested on suspicion of cultivation of cannabis while his son was arrested on suspicion of murder. They were both taken to Langfords Police Station, along with the items seized.

Sometime later, at about 10:37 p.m., a number of officers – from the CID, Special Services Unit (SSU), and the Defence Force went on duty in Browne’s Avenue to execute a search warrant on a home there.

While nothing of interest was found, the three residents were arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to the St. John’s Police Station.

Another warrant executed in Browne’s Avenue found nothing of interest.  However, reports say that lawmen had to use force in order to gain entry into that house, since the young man was home but refused to open the door.

After police officers entered the house, the suspect reportedly ran into a bedroom and locked himself inside, and, again, force was deployed for the lawmen to gain access.

It is alleged that, after they entered, the young man attempted to disarm an officer and a struggle ensued.  Equipment was discharged and the suspect received minor injuries to his left side – for which he reportedly was offered medical attention, but refused.

He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of murder and taken to St. John’s Police Station where, again, he was offered medical attention and refused, sources say.

Meanwhile, at about 11:22 p.m., officers again went on duty in Browne’s Avenue and a search warrant was executed on another home.  Two pairs of licence plates were found and seized for investigation purposes.

That suspect, too, was arrested on suspicion of murder and was taken to St. John’s Police Station.