Larcenies yield cash, electronics and building materials, while Court sentences one man to time and another is fined

The Police have reported three break-ins and larcenies in St. John’s during the past 24 hours.

Records from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) indicate that Essential Plus on Newgate Lane was broken into at about 5:15 a.m. on Tuesday, March 14.

The perpetrator used what appeared to be a hard object to break the display glass and gain entry into the building, stealing $100 and several grocery items – the value of which is to be determined.

Meanwhile, an apartment on Prince Klaas Street was reportedly broken into between 7:16 a.m. and 9:37 a.m., also on Wednesday, and the perpetrator is said to have taken off with cash to the tune of $ 5,675.

Also missing were a white HP laptop valued at US$280; a portable sound core Bluetooth speaker valued at US$199; and a bottle of Michael Kors perfume valued at US$180, among other items.

According to the police, no sign of forced entry was observed, and it appeared that the perpetrator had used a key to open the door.

Prior to these incidents, a house break-in had taken place at Radio Range between the afternoon of Sunday, March 12 and Tuesday morning, March 14.

The police note that the house is under construction and the perpetrators had removed the lock on a door on its southern section.

Several layers of sheetrock, as well as electrical wire, were taken from the kitchen, while two French doors were removed from their hinges on the northern side of the building.

The value of the stolen items has not yet been ascertained.

In the meantime, lawmen have recorded two convictions over the past 24 hours.

Dexter George, 65, of Upper Fort Road appeared before Chief Magistrate Joanne Walsh on Tuesday, March 14, to answer to the charges of building breaking and larceny, receiving, and malicious damage.

He pleaded guilty and received a six-month sentence at His Majesty’s Prison (HMP), while the Magistrate ordered that restitution be made to the virtual complainant.

Meanwhile, Cassim Gregory of Five Islands also appeared before Chief Magistrate Walsh on charges of battery and malicious damage.

He, too, pleaded guilty and was fined $500 on the former charge and $43 on the latter.

Both fines are to be paid on or before March 21, or he will face two months in prison.