Morning fire partially destroys a house in Villa; no injury reported

A Portion of a Villa home was destroyed by fire after the owner left for work leaving a deep fryer on.

Reports are that fire officers responded to a report of a house fire about 11:40 a.m. on Tuesday (March 7) at Christopher Street, Villa at the home of 45-year-old Davene Whyte.

Further reports are that the woman was using a deep fryer in the kitchen of her 18×28 wooden home about 9 a.m. when sometime after she left home and went to work forgetting it on.

Apparently, she later received a message from her 15-year-old son who informed her that the house was on fire.

Reportedly the teenager was in the living room sleeping in a chair when he heard a loud explosion, which sounded like it came from the kitchen.

He allegedly immediately got up and saw the kitchen on fire.

Reports are that three fire tenders from the St. John’s Fire Station arrived on the scene and put out the blaze.

Fire officials say that only the kitchen area of the wooden house received damage. No one was injured, and the house is not insured.