Trial adjourned today and four accused in ‘Jungle’ Greenaway’s murder will return to High Court on October 31

The four law-enforcement officers accused of murdering Bruce “Jungle” Greenaway must return to court on October 31, since their trial was adjourned today, July 18, by a High Court Judge.

Police Officer Jason Modeste, and Defence Force soldiers Shakiel Thomas, Armal Warner and Aliyah Martin are accused of the offense, which reportedly took place while the country was under curfew in 2020.

Greenaway’s decomposing body was found on Easter Monday, April 13, that year.   The corpse, discovered floating on the shoreline of Indian Creek, allegedly bore the marks of a severe beating.

However, a post mortem examination later determined he had died as a result of strangulation.

Greenaway was last seen alive on Thursday, April 9, 2020, in the custody of Thomas and Modeste of Swetes; Warner of Pares; and Martin of Jennings, after they had picked up the Falmouth man, allegedly for breaking curfew.  

After they were arrested, charged and remanded, Modeste was moved from Her Majesty’s Prison to Police Headquarters, while Thomas and Martin were confined to barracks at their Defence Force base.

Warner’s application for bail was granted by the Court due to certain circumstances, and he was released on $40,000 bail with no cash component.

Meanwhile … Shajah Joyce has been remanded to Her Majesty’s Prison and his committal proceedings date set for September 15.

Joyce, 26, of Villa, made his first appearance today, July 18, before Chief Magistrate Joanne Walsh in the St. John’s Magistrates’ Court.

He was charged with attempted murder after having wounded his estranged wife’s stepfather and sister in the early-morning hours of Thursday, July 14.

Joyce reportedly went to the Fort Road house where his wife was staying with relatives and an altercation ensued after he broke into the residence.

He allegedly threatened his 31-year-old wife with a knife, which resulted in her 36-year-old sibling going to her assistance. As a result, the sister-in-law sustained multiple stab wounds about the body. Her stepfather, who also intervened, received a laceration to the left side of his throat.

Both patients’ injuries were said to be serious but not life threatening.

Meanwhile, REAL News was informed that the Police responded to a report of arson at Joyce’s Villa home later that morning. However, when officers examined the property, they did not observe any signs of a fire.