Fire Department quenches blaze at insured Radio Range building; no personal injuries, but apartment sustains damage

The Fire Department and the Police are investigating what might have been an electrical fire at an apartment building in Radio Range.

Reports say the No. 15 engine and men from the St. John’s Fire Station were deployed to the scene after receiving a report of the fire. The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) was also notified of the incident.

Further reports say the firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze, which was on the second floor of an apartment complex owned by Laurent Gilkes of Crosbies. The property is insured, according to Department sources.

The No. 3 apartment, the scene of the fire, houses two bedrooms and was occupied by Mayad Naddor and his family.

Apparently, Naddor was not at home when the fire started.  Reportedly, he received a call from his wife, who informed him that there were sparks coming from an outlet in a northern bedroom, and that, shortly after, the room was engulfed in fire. 

Officials say there were no personal injuries; however, the bedroom was completely destroyed. The kitchen and the utility room also sustained damage. 

This incident reportedly occurred at about 8:30 a.m. on May 27.