Confrontation between youth escalates into stabbing of 15-year-old, as older teen reportedly defends his sister

Incidents of youth violence continue unabated, with a set of young people having to receive treatment for injuries – including a collapsed lung that was sustained during an altercation at a shopping centre.

This offence, according to sources, occurred at about 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 28, off the Friars Hill Road. 

Reports say that a police constable notified his colleagues at the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of a fight that involved several minors near the Cost Pro Supermarket at Woods Centre.  Allegedly, one of the children was wounded with a sharp object to his back.  

As a result of that incident, several officers went to the Sir Lester Bird Medical Centre.  There, the constable reported that he had met a 15-year-old, a resident of Fort Road, in the vicinity of the Woods Centre, and the youth had two visible stab wounds to the left side of his back and a laceration to his left hand. 

According to him, the teenager was unable to say what had transpired.  However, after being stabilized by Emergency Medical Technicians, the boy was transported to the Emergency Room via the Emergency Medical Service.

Doctors at the hospital reported that the teen had suffered a collapsed left lung and was being prepped for surgery. 

Reports say the Police subsequently interviewed a 17-year-old Bathlodge resident in the presence of his father, at the hospital.

He allegedly confessed to stabbing the Fort Road teenager while he was defending his sister.

Reportedly, the stabbing victim, along with two other boys, were throwing stones at the alleged offender and his 15-year-old sister while they were leaving the Caribbean Cinemas compound.

However, when they reached the Woods Mall, a physical altercation ensued.  The 15-year-old was stabbed after allegedly striking the older teenager with a length of 2 x 4 wood.  

The 17-year-old, as a result, sustained lacerations on the left hand and left shoulder, which was visibly swollen. His sister, meanwhile, had a laceration to the left wrist.

All three teenagers were issued with police medical forms, and investigations into the incident continue.