The Queen of Carnival competition will making its way back onto the slate of activities to mark the annual summer celebrations.
The pageant has been on hiatus since the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. And although the summer festival was staged last year, 2022, the Queen of Carnival contest did not form part of the events; the only pageant staged was the Jaycees Caribbean Queen Show.
However, local young women who wish to enter the pageant are now able to do so, as registration for the 2023 edition has begun.
The Ministry of Education, Sports and Creative Industries says that prospective applicants should note that registration is now open and will conclude on Monday, March 6, which is just over a week away.
A prerequisite for interested persons is that they must be a citizen of Antigua and Barbuda, between the ages of 18 and 26 years.
Additionally, they must have completed secondary school with a minimum of five CSEC subjects, inclusive of English A; must never have been married; never have borne a child; and must not have a criminal record.
Screening of candidates, according to the minister, will take place on Saturday, March 18.
Application forms are available daily between the hours of 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and on Fridays, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and can be obtained from any of the Ministry’s three (3) locations: Old Parham Road, Redcliffe Street (formerly the Festivals Office), and the Ministry of Creative Industries, Cultural Unit on Lower Nevis Street.
The Ministry says that completed registration forms should be returned to the Old Parham Road office, upstairs the KFC and INET Building, only.