Former MP Dean Jonas to face four charges after altercation at his home turns into alleged battery on police

Dean Jonas, an Antigua Labour Party candidate in the recent General Election and former Member of Parliament for St. George, is expected to appear in court to answer to several charges following an incident with the police on Thursday night, February 23.

The former Gender Affairs Minister was arrested and charged for resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, making use of threatening language and battery on police.

Allegations are that Jonas was detained by officers who responded to his Scotts Hill home after having received a report of a domestic incident. It is alleged that he made certain threats against the mother of one of his children.

Officers, as a result, went to investigate the claim, and it is alleged that an altercation ensued between them and Jonas.  Allegations are that the former MP attacked the lawmen when they attempted to arrest him.

Reports say he was subsequently restrained and transported to St. John’s Police Station, where he was charged and later released on station bail.

It is alleged that, following his release from custody, Jonas sought medical attention.

This is not Jonas’ first brush with the law. When he served as principal of his private school, Seaview Academy, he and a parent were involved in an altercation during a PTA meeting.

Jonas was subsequently found guilty of assault in February 2014.

At the time, Dr. Jacqui Quinn – then minister of gender affairs –condemned the incident, saying she had been bombarded with calls from a number of women, including parents and teachers.

Quinn, who was shocked at the incident, said she was not pleased that Jonas had received a slap on the wrist for committing a disgraceful act.

More recently, Jonas was accused of pulling his firearm on a campaigner for Algernon “Serpent” Watts, the United Progressive Party candidate – to whom he lost the St. George seat in the January 18 polls.  However, no charges were laid against him.

Had the police acted in that instance, a source says, it might have prevented this latest incident.