A search has been mounted for a Chinese national, an employee of the XPZ Supermarket, which was destroyed by fire yesterday, June 1.
Managers of the business reportedly told State media that they are very concerned about the man’s whereabouts, since he has not been seen since the fire, which also damaged the building in which some of the workers lived.
They say they do not wish to speculate about what might have happened to the man, who has been identified only as “Alex.” But he is alleged to have left the supermarket’s WhatsApp group after 5 a.m. on Tuesday, the same day as the inferno.
Calls were reportedly placed to his phone and messages sent; but there has been no reply.
One manager assured State media that the Chinese nationals are united and have not been in any conflict with each other.
Meanwhile, Fire Department officials are still investigating the cause of the massive blaze, which Fire Chief Elvis Weaver has described as “suspicious.”
They will have to go through the rubble with a fine-tooth comb; but, so far, there have been no reports of human remains being found.
The fire is estimated to have cost the company $10 million.
In the meantime, reports indicate that the supermarket’s management is set to meet with the staff to discuss their future. Some 59 people are said to be employed with the business, including 50 locals, all of whom are now on the breadline after the fire.
This situation has increased the number of persons who are unemployed, at a time when hundreds have been already displaced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.