EDUCATION DIRECTOR SAYS THAT RETURN TO CLASSROOM TEACHING NEXT WEEK IS GUIDED BY INFORMATION RECEIVED FROM CMO
Persons are questioning the flip-flop by the Ministry of Education and the Cabinet’s revised decision to have all students return to the physical classroom from next Monday, April 19.
This decision was agreed to by the Cabinet on Wednesday.
Consequently, Director of Education Clare Browne yesterday advised principals that an “update on the … status” of COVID-19 infections had been received from the Chief Medical Officer, and this had guided the new decision.
However, he said, revisiting the instructional strategy was done in consultation with Ministry of Education officials, the Cabinet, and the Teachers Union.
Browne advised that “schools should revert to their instructional plans as utilized in the first term of the current academic year, allowing for all students to receive in-person instruction.”
He noted that the conditions under which schools now operate remain fluid and can change at any time, and that the stakeholders will continue to re-assess the position.
Browne says that any decisions made by education officials are contingent on the health and safety of all educators, students and support staff in education.
Pre-Schools and Daycare Centres were allowed to reopen, along with the upper forms and grades in regular schools, on Monday, April 12.
A woman tells Real News that while the active cases have drastically declined in the past weeks, it is still high.
She believes that students should return to school when the cases drop below 100. Active cases are now over 230.